Sharing files between Suse8.2 and Windows XP

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    34SP.com Forum Index // Other OS Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derfel Cadarn
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Sharing files between Suse8.2 and Windows XP Reply with quote
I've recently reinstalled my box: SuSE8.2 on one HDD and XP on another. Untill now I always used Win98.
My problem is that I cannot share files between linux and win. I've created a special FAT32-partition for this prupose and in XP i gave this partition free for other users (may change files). In Linux i try to change the owner and/or group from 'root' to 'myself' and/or 'users', but I get the message 'you do not have sufficient rights'. Also i cannot 'chmod' it to rwxrwxrwx or something like that. I just get no access.
Funny thing is that (as 'root') i _can_ create a subdir and change the owner for that subdir. But that subdir never shows up, when i switch to xp again!!

If i cannot solve this, i'm thinking of throwing the towel, reinstall 98 and forget all about testing my sites in IE6 Testing in IE5.5 will have to do, in that case

Does any1 have a clue what I've done wrong?
say_ten
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Install Samba.

Say_Ten

http://www.sayten.34sp.com/ | http://www.multiplay.co.uk/
Derfel Cadarn
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Say_Ten wrote:
Install Samba.

Thanx, Say_Ten, but I'm not running a network, I just want to be able to mount the XP-HDD and save files onto it, so that (after switching to XP) I can test my Webprogramming in different versions of IE. The other testing (Netscape, Opera, etc.) I do in Linux.

I thought I did that file-sharing thing already, but I'll have another look into it to be sure.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Thanx for the help.
Flextron
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Derfel Cadarn wrote:
My problem is that I cannot share files between linux and win. I've created a special FAT32-partition for this prupose and in XP i gave this partition free for other users (may change files). In Linux i try to change the owner and/or group from 'root' to 'myself' and/or 'users', but I get the message 'you do not have sufficient rights'. Also i cannot 'chmod' it to rwxrwxrwx or something like that. I just get no access.

The mainly difference between FAT and NTFS is that NTFS has user/groups permissions while any versions of FAT doesn't have any information. When you mount FAT fs in linux, you can specify the owner and the group of the files with uid=value and gid=value. For example, my /etc/fstab looks like this:
Code:

/dev/hda1 /windows/C vfat users,uid=flextron,gid=users,umask=0002,iocharset=iso8859-1

So, I'm the owner of all the files and all files have the same group, users. See man mount for more information.

PD: I use SuSE 8.2 pro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Derfel Cadarn
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Flextron! I'll give that a try immediately!

I use SuSE8.2 Pro too, so it should work !

I got hope again
say_ten
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, I thought you meant two machines. You can mount NTFS in FreeBSD, I know that much but I can't remember if it's still read only or not. But FAT should be fine, it's just a case of finding the right options. As above

Say_Ten

http://www.sayten.34sp.com/ | http://www.multiplay.co.uk/
Derfel Cadarn
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just wanted to tell Flextron: it works! Thanks you all for all the help!

BTW my fstab-file seems to be a bit messed up, I'm afraid I must have done myself, trying to get this sharing to work.. I Hope I get it back to what it was...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    34SP.com Forum Index // Other OS Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: