ftp backup only creates a small text file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slav Erik
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: ftp backup only creates a small text file Reply with quote
Hi,
I have several accounts which have cron jobs added to backup onto my ftp server once a week. What I've found is that once in a blue moon they will go mad and start to backup over and over again, I noticed this happened to day as I got over 800 emails informing a backup has begun / completed.
What is actually uploaded to the server is a small text file of about 340 bytes which contains the words Magic1 and Magic2 together with what looks like keys of some sort.
Also the confirmation emails state:
"Unable to create semaphore.
at /usr/local/psa/bin/psadump line 338"
Any ideas what is happening here folks?
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A semaphore issue happens very occasionally its nothing you yourself can do about it, but generally we notice issues on the server like this and as necessary clear them down.

In all honesty i would not recommend running of 'plesk backup' unless you are doing it in realitime when you can monitor it, plesk backup 100% disabled your site , thats all dns(incase of reseller)/web/dbase/email and from time to time you will find that it cannot re-enable it first time and it gives up. With this in mind it is possible that you could have your site offline for several days.

Please use pleskbackup only when you are around - dont use the scheduled backup in there unless you really need too.

The plesk backup is also in a mime encoded format, which is (almost) impossible for you to use as an offline backup for anything, i would recommend our own backup service (which has recently had a huge drop in price- a weekly backup on a standard personal 200 account is 4.49 a year with 1 rotating backup stored ) as this creates files in your normal ftp space in simple compressed tar archives which can be opened on just about any operating system with basic tools.
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Slav Erik
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: 34sp backups Reply with quote
Thanks for the honesty, I didn't realise Plesk backups were so, how could we say? crap!
All I need is a way to cron a backup of each of my sites to my ftp server on a weekly basis.
Can your backup do this?
How much would it be?
would you backup files and db?
Will I be in control of it or will I need to make requests every time I want a change to the backup routine?
Thanks
Stuart
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Our backups put files into a directory called scheduled_backups that is at the same level as httpdocs, there will be 1 file for files, 1 for email, and a seperate backup for each database that exists on the account.

You could then use via a cron ncftpput or similar to ftp this to your own ftp server.

Our backups are run around 2-3am on the morning that the weekly backup was decided on.

The cost is as listed on our backups page :

http://www.34sp.com/servicesbackuphosting

(please note ncftpput may need installing on the server - let us know!,)
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Reseller Hosting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: