Sky broadband and Mac Mail v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Non Members Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy_gib

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Sky broadband and Mac Mail v2 Reply with quote
I have the same problem as a guy in the email section of this site.

"Has anyone successfully managed to get their mail working correctly with Sky broadband installed.

I have Mac Mail installed and receive emails absolutely no problem whatsoever, but I just can't send any? What settings should I have for out going server etc, and is there anything I need to alter to make it work in terms of my Sky account?

It's just a pain having to launch webmail every time I want to reply to a message!"

I've contacted Sky and they are useless, everything relates to my new sky email address (which i don't want to use) the guy above concludes that it was a port issue, but what port number would i use?

Any help would be fantastic on this
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have an smtp account with us try setting your port to 2525 instead of 25 incase sky are hijacking or blocking this.

You can check if its blocked via terminal and running

telnet smtp.YOURDOMAIN 25

and seeing what response you get back.

Please note if you dont have smtp services with us you may get a connection but you will not be able to send.
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers, as far as i am aware, i don't have a smtp account with you. I'm going to persist with the idiots at Sky first but would that possibly be the only way around this? upgrade my account. if so any ideas as to info/price
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If sky dont provide you with outgoing smtp (a lot of people dont unless you are sending from eg name@ISP.COM) then we can provide smtp services that can be used with any connection for 15 per year on personal hosting accounts.
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
philr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got sky email working on someone else's computer a while back. Try setting up Apple Mail as follows (replacing "{your_email}" and "{your_password}" with whatever you're using):
Code:
   Outgoing Mail Server ... smtp.tools.sky.com
   Server port ............ 465
   Use SSL ................ yes
   Authentication ......... Password
   Username ............... {your_email}@sky.com
   Password ............... {your_password}

EDIT:
I bookmarked this page, so I guess it must have come in useful:
http://tinyurl.com/4u5vuw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again, but no joy. The Sky helpsite (and the staff) seem to only want to help me if i want to use my new Sky email, i don't. I want to use my 3x existing email addresses from my website. I believe the problem may lie within the port number given to me by Sky. I will persist with them tomorrow. Thanks for the help and i will reply if i find out the answer.
peterwt
34SP User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will need to set your email client, Mac Mail to use some smtp outgoing mail server. if you do not have one with 34sp you will need to use the Sky one.

I have a similar situation in that my domain and email are hosted by 34sp without their smtp outgoing server.

I have set up 2 accounts in my email client. One is set to send and receive using my ISP, BTInternet, send and receive mail servers ,and the second is set to send using my ISP send server but receive set to 34sp pop receive.

You would be advised to do the same as you may receive email from Sky on your Sky email address.

Why don't you try to get it working first on your Sky email.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all your help and advice, I've just purchased smtp support and bypassed sky.
Thanks again
sallym80

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: smtp hosting Reply with quote
imknight wrote:
If sky dont provide you with outgoing smtp (a lot of people dont unless you are sending from eg name@ISP.COM) then we can provide smtp services that can be used with any connection for �15 per year on personal hosting accounts.

Hi - i have just switched to Sky broadband and my existing email accoutn (via Outlook) has stopped sending mail - it seems to be receiving mail just fine.

Sky have been less than helpful and have told me I need to get the mailhost to tell me the outgoing smtp server address but I don't know how to do this/don't know who the mailhost is (outgoing server was set to "smtp.ntlworld.com" and it was working with that before the Sky broadband came online).

can anyone help me?

do i need to buy a new smtp hosting service from your guys as per message quoted above? if so, how? and will it affect my email address (info@thebeatlez.com)??????
efunc
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use Sky's SMTP service just fine with my 34sp email setup on Apple Mail app.

it's import you use the correct ports, etc.

outgoing server: smtp.tool.sky.com

server settings:
port 587 (use SSL)
Authentication type: Password
user name: xxxx@sky.com
password: xxxxxxx

try something like this in outlook. sky do actually provide a guide for setting up outlook, but the above info is all you really need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Non Members Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum