Where To Store The Connection File

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HorseyGilly
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Where To Store The Connection File Reply with quote
HI I wonder if some one could advice me where it is best to store the connection file?
philr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're using PHP, then I don't think you have much choice but to place your MySQL connection script inside your httpdocs folder somewhere. However, if you're using PHP-FCGI then you can set the permissions on this file to 0400 to prevent anyone else from accessing it. This is the most secure approach.

Alternatively, if you're using mod_php then your PHP files have to be readable by Apache. You can create a file owned by Apache with permissions set to 0400 by using a combination of PHP's fwrite() and chmod() functions. If you like, you can also move the login details to your .htaccess file by declaring them as environment variables, e.g.:
Code:
SetEnv MYSQL_USER username
SetEnv MYSQL_PASS abracadabra

This information will then appear in the $_SERVER globals array (i.e., $_SERVER['MYSQL_USER'] and $_SERVER['MYSQL_PASS']).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Database Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: