Dreamweaver help required

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingio
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Dreamweaver help required Reply with quote
Hi

I've designed a site but need a bit of advice.

I have used "Vista buttons" to create a menu for my site that I'm really happy with, but, a bit of a flaw is I seemingly need to add it to every page individually each time I want to update it.

Is there not a way of my just updating it on the main page and getting that to then auto update from that? I'm really confused and don't want to re-design the site so if not possible I'll have to keep it as it is, for now, but there must be an easier way, surely?

Many thanks in advance of your help.

Shane
beanz
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi gingio
Not sure what "Vista buttons" is but I assume it would be a menu bar of some description based on your need to update every page.
If this is the case you may need to rewrite the site and create a Template page which contains the element/s you want to see on every page based on that template. That way you update the template and every page you created based on that updates as well.
If you are not very familiar with Dreamweaver, post back and let us know and more detailed instruction could follow.
Incidentally, most of the rewrite could consist of cutting and pasting from existing pages so, unless you have hundreds of pages, this should not be too arduous.
Cheers
Bruce
gingio
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
beanz wrote:
If this is the case you may need to rewrite the site and create a Template page which contains the element/s you want to see on every page based on that template. That way you update the template and every page you created based on that updates as well.
If you are not very familiar with Dreamweaver, post back and let us know and more

That makes a bit of sense but still a bit new to me. I basically have 2 styles of page I use at the moment, one with a right hand side bar, one without. Could what you say re the template system work across both with the same menu being used?

If you could provide me with a little brief on how to do it I'd be eternally grateful.

beanz wrote:

Incidentally, most of the rewrite could consist of cutting and pasting from existing pages so, unless you have hundreds of pages, this should not be too arduous.
Cheers
Bruce

Sounds even better! Especially as I only have a few pages right now as due to launch the site and then just keep adding to it so good to resolve this now prior to or just following the launch before the content builds.

Thanks a lot Bruce, look forward to hearing from you again.
beanz
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only just got in and seen your reply. The technique is relatively simple but does require some forward planning.

you can create as many templates as you like then base any new page on them. The template require "editable areas" so that, when working on ordinary web pages rather than the template itself you can enter "other" content specific to just that page. YOU cannot edit any part of the template without opening the template itself.

Dreamweaver saves template as .dwt files. Personally I create a new folder on my machine to house the templates in. These templates DO NOT need to be uploaded to your remote server but any files within the templates (javascript coding etc) does need to be.

When you have created a new site in dreamweaver select File|New.
You can then select the Balnk template option and, following this, I suggest starting with the html option. this bit should be obvious once you have selected the blank template option.

if youare working in Design View you will see a blank page. Populate this with the elements you want to see on all pages based on this template.
You will need to insert at least one editable region (Insert | Template Objects | Editable Region)

Play around wth this in a dummy site to get the feel.
Once the template is created and saved you can create a new page based on this template.

YOU CAN ONLY WORK INSODE THE EDITABLE REGIONS once you get this far but you can put anything you like into these - tables, iframes etc - threat the editable region as a page within a page.

Hope this makes sense and starts it all off. Feel free to ask more - there will be loads of people here far more knowledgable than me so I am sure you'll get this sorted in no time.

Cheers

Bruce
gingio
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Bruce! I vaguely remember doing this before but it was a long time ago.

So am I right in thinking if I open my current page style and save it as a template then that'll be OK? So then, when ever I want to update the menu bar, I just update the main template and the change will be seen right across the site?

Thanks again in advance

Shane
beanz
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just opening an existing page adn saving it as a template probably would not work very well. There is an option to convert an existing page to a template but I have never had any luck with this.

Better to start from scratch - this eliminates any potential glitches.

Without wishing to complicate matters - another option would be to work with iframes. One or more iframes would contain elements seen on every page whilst others would contain content specific. The iframes themselves are basically "placeholders" for your normal html pages. Once you get to know these they can be very flexible. There are numerous tutorials out there if you google iframe tutorial dreamweaver.

Good luck

Bruce
gingio
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all your advice Bruce, really helpful.

Do you know much about iframes? I thought this would be the easiest and most simplest option for me. So, what I tried to do is insert my menu, worked well I thought, but then I noticed one flaw.

If a user selects a drop down part of the menu, the drop down disappears within the iframe. Could this be overcome?

Cheers

Shane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Web Design All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: