Thumbnail from PDF using PHP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Jones
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Thumbnail from PDF using PHP Reply with quote
I'd like to use a PHP script to auto-generate thumbnail images from PDFs. I understand how to do it, but it needs ImageMagick support which does not appear to be included in 34SP's PHP installation.

So my questions are:
a) is there any way of getting access to ImageMagick from within PHP?
or
b) is there any other way of accomplishing the task with what is currently available?

Generating images locally and uploading them doesn't really solve my problem, because I want to allow non-technical users to upload PDFs, and they would not have the means nor skills to extract and upload separate images.

TIA for any help or suggestions.

Rick Jones
philr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It may be unavailable to PHP, but I think you'll find ImageMagick is installed on your server. If you write a shell script or Perl script to do the conversion, then it shouldn't be too hard to get PHP to communicate with it. You'll probably need to run the script inside your web space in order to avoid open_basedir restrictions, although your cgi-bin folder would be the obvious place for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Scripting Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: