Cannot remove the Apache2 default home page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sackbut
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Cannot remove the Apache2 default home page Reply with quote
Been some time since I visited the forum and I really need some help now ! I'm on the world's steepest learning curve aka 34SP VPS without PLESK

Putty shell works fine so I can fiddle around. Web server is up and running (Apache2) and have a secure FTP service (VSFTPD). I transferred a web site to /var/www/html but all can see is the default site which is put there when Apache is installed.

I checked the Apache config file and the web home is /var/www/html. So why does my web site not show ??!

Hope someone out there is smarter than me !
KT
sackbut
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK - I sort of stumbled upon the answer. Probably obvious to all you Linx types ! Although there is a section in the config file (httpd.conf) which says

#Controls who can get stuff from this server
Order allow,deny
Allow from all

it mustn't mean what I thought it meant. The directory in which the html (web site) is placed has to be owned by the same process running the server.

There's probably even more subtlety at work - but this will get me going for now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: