Ubuntu: adding user, but not in sudoers by default

Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apacheuk
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Ubuntu: adding user, but not in sudoers by default Reply with quote
Quick question, I've just logged in to a brand new VPS and was going about creating a new user and disabling root login via SSH.

I added the new user and added it to the sudo group, then logged in and tried to sudo and use apt-get to check for updates. I got the following error:

sudo:must be setuid root

I've never had this issue before in other 12.04 environments and did some googling and found out that in order to fix the issue I needed to run the following as root:

chmod +s /usr/bin/sudo

Now this did fix the issue, but my question is this... shouldn't this be set by default? Or has something potentially gone wrong when my VPS was built? Have other users experienced this and is it a quirk of the way 34sp build the environments?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: