Session handling errors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauradoom
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Session handling errors Reply with quote
I am receiving the following message frequently, but intermittently, as a displayed warning and in error logs:

[Sat May 31 22:49:00 2014] [error] [client 82.8.237.122] PHP Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (user). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/session) in Unknown on line 0

Can anyone explain the reference to session.save_path when I am using a custom session handling class that implements database storage?
lauradoom
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Support's solution to this problem, which is related to the Suhosin patch trashing user/database custom session handling:

Quote:
In general, saving the sessions in the database isn't great. It is not really designed for that purpose and MySQL serves as a very poor tool for session storage, locking being a key issue - not to mention no built-in support for purging. There's also the fact that this is a shared server and adding this kind of load to the database if the site gets busy will lead to more troubles. Please do try to store them on the file system and let us know there's any further session troubles.

Update 28th June:
the solution above, it now seems, was a temporary measure; since then, a modification/patch has been applied to the suhosin extension, and 18hrs on from that surgery, the custom session handler appears to be holding up without being held up.

Either way, I'll get back to myself/anyone_avidly following_this_epic_saga as it progresses.

Update 1st July 2014
The patch applied to PHP/suhosin has resulted in error-free session handling for me since 28th June. Hopefully, this is a permanent solution and my last post on this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Database Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: