Problem with windows DVD region settings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rozberry
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Problem with windows DVD region settings Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a problem with my DVD drive. I normally use Power DVD, which has up until now allowed me to change my region settings a limited number of times. I'm currently on my last chance to change the settings before they become fixed. However, despite supposedly being able to do this one more time, my DVD player doesn't seem to want to, leaving me stuck on region 1 and unable to use my usual region 2 DVDs.

If i put in a region 2 DVD, Power DVD first pops up a box which says

Current Region: 1
Region Setting Counter: 1 time(s) remaining

and then a list of supported regions for the disc in question, with region 2 and region 4. so i click on region 2 and then a message pops up saying DVD error: this region code does not match the DVD-ROM's region designation. If i click "details" the box says "The region code of the DVD-Rom drive has been fixed. Only discs that support this region can be played." This, obviously, contradicts the message above.

I open My Computer, right click the D drive and click "play", supposing that windows media might agree to play the DVD. A message pops up saying "your system is set to region 1. To play this DVD, set the system to region 2 or 4." So i click ok and it offers me the properties of the player. There is a caution saying that once the counter reaches zero it is impossible to change the region back, and then below it says Changes remaining: 1.

I click United Kingdom and a warning pops up that this is the last chance to change the setting. I click ok and an error message pops up:

DVD region change error. Unable to update region setting. Please make sure the drive contains a region 2 media [it does] and you have administration privilege [i ought to].

I checked in control panel that my current login was indeed the administator, and now i don't know what to do. I ought to be able to change the settings once more, according to both my own calculations of how many times i've reset it and some of the boxes, but the computer is contradicting itself about whether i can because then it tells me it isn't possible. Am i going to need to take my laptop back to Dell and demand they fix the problem or is there something easier, cheaper and quicker i can do to put the regions back or convince my computer that i'm owed one more chance?

Thanks.
htuplin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

One question. As I understand it from your post (and on the phone) you have only tried to change the region setting when PowerDVD and Media Player have asked you to once you insert a Region 2 DVD?

Have you tried to change your hardware back to region 2 manually, i.e from Control Panel?

If you haven't, it may be worth a try. Either post back and I'll take you through it or ring and again I'll take you through it.

It may not work but if you havent tried it, it is still worth a try!
quickie
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: dvd regions Reply with quote
As you have correctly stated you only have 3 changes on hardware adjustment for region choice, i have found that it is easier to download/buy a region free dvd software player, the one i have ignores any region encoding and plays despite any hardware restrictions. This will allow you to play any region dvd anytime.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Windows Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: