GreyListing now available on 34SP hosting accounts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: GreyListing now available on 34SP hosting accounts Reply with quote
Many of you may have seen the post on the "Latest @ 34SP.com" on the www.34SP.com homepage. (see that post for more information)

The first batch of these will be activated at midday today, all accounts on business1.34sp.com and business2.34sp.com will be enabled.

If anyone has any issues or does not want to participate with greylisting then please let us know.

Emails will be sent out later today to people located on 34SPlus and personal hosting accounts that have spam filtering enabled as these will be the next to be enabled.
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
vdub
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have read the article about the new spam software at http://34SP.com/greylist
I just have a question for those genuine email that have problems getting through is it possible to check the blocked/blacklisted to see if it is incorrectly logging an emails as spam
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greylisting doesnt actually mark any email as 'spam' (or not spam) it basically tests the validity of the sending mail server against its ability to queue and resend emails which nearly every legitimate mailserver does without issues - its prime usage is removing mails sent from generally infected computers (trojans/viruses) that dont have a queuing system.

If you become aware of mails not getting through to you from a valid source then we can whitelist these IP addresses (provided they are static) on a per server basis.

All IPs that attempt to send email into the 34SP network are logged and kept for at least 25hrs while waiting for a retry, the vast majority of mailservers appear to resend in under 4hrs so generally this should be more than sufficient.

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
manuel
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am a little concerned about greylisting from what is being said. I've had problems elsewhere with lost mail due to false positives. Am I to understand that this feature will simply discard some mail if it fails the test without any way of the user finding out that it has happened?
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are welcome to 'opt out' this is an option that everyone is being given.

This is not as such a 'spam filter' done by bayesian tests, this simply tests that the originating mailserver is really a proper mailserver and not some virus or trojan or similar. Nearly all proper mailservers have a queuing system and can handle a 'temporary delivery failure' and will retry again.

| Wordpress Hosting |
manuel
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
While I have no doubt your motives in offering greylisting are fine, I do not like the idea of any email being simply discarded without giving the (receiving) user any information at all about the discarded email.

I am aware that spam is a massive problem and I have had my share of problems. I'm as sick of spam as anyone, but I'm now finding that many anti-spam solutions are unduly aggressive. I often send legitimate emails to people and find they are not received because the recipient's provider has decided they know best and give him no mechanism for monitoring discarded email. I think it is important to give the recipient a chance to review rejected incoming email by at least, say, giving him a list on request of the "sender" and "subject" fields of discarded email. Without some measure of control like this being available to the (receiving) user I can't accept greylisting and I will opt out.
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats fine, its one of the reasons we didnt rush into this type of upgrade and made sure that we could give our users the choice to opt out first if they so requested.

Just make sure you reply to the email that you will get prior to us enabling it on your server, and it will be whitelisted as soon as the system comes online on that server. In time we will have the option in the account pages for the hosting account, so you should be able to turn it on/off if you change your mind in the future.

| Wordpress Hosting |
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The following servers have just been enabled with greylisting as per the emails sent last week:

spam.34sp.com
spam2.34sp.com
gold.34sp.com
diamond.34sp.com

| Wordpress Hosting |
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
All the reseller servers have now been enabled with greylisting - anyone wanting to optout please mail as soon as possible.

server1.xenserve.com
server2.xenserve.com
server3.xenserve.com
server4.xenserve.com
server5.xenserve.com
server6.xenserve.com
server7.xenserve.com
server8.xenserve.com

| Wordpress Hosting |
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As previously mentioned greylisting is coming to all 34SP.com accounts. Read the blog previous post here if your not sure what greylisting is exactly.

Whilst we are mailing all users in advance of their server being enabled we do realise that some people are experiencing large levels of spam and are eager to get started ASAP.

To this end greylisting functionality is now installed on all personal hosting servers. Actual dates for the service going live have yet to be decided. If you want to get greylisting running on your account today, just drop us an email at the usual support@34sp.com address. We will be happy to enable your account in advance of the official activation date.

| Wordpress Hosting |
45six
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Ian,

I've not received a couple of expected emails from PayPal, not sure what their mail servers IP address is sorry.
The email address I have registered with them is the same one I use for Ebay so I know it's not blocked on my pc.
It could just be PayPal being extremely slow, but I wanted to mention it just in case.

regards
Richard
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Richard,

Best to drop an email in with as much information as you can, but i have seen items from paypal during our testing period go through without any issues at all, could just be the xmas rush

| Wordpress Hosting |
RMLaundon
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to let you know I have had greylisting activated on one of my websites and it appears to be working very well as my mail boxes are empty of spam mailings not one piece of unwanted mail today at all over 4 boxes.

mind u my days are going to be boring now as I won't need to keep blacklisting and deleting spam mail I'll have to go back to doing "proper" work on the site now lol
trev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spam on my domain dropped drastically and I started to wonder if any mails were getting through! However today the spam level has leaped up significantly. An earthquake off the coast of Taiwan on the 26th knocked out several submarine cables which cut off a lot of China, Korea and the Far East so maybe that reduced the spam and now that the routes are being restored, the spam levels are creeping back up!

Trevor
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
greylisting will not stop any spam that originates from proper mail servers, but its definitly a help in getting rid of some of the spam that plagues people on a daily basis.

We do offer spam filtering services as well that will then put the spam assassin on to the email once it has passed and will tag a mail depending on its content.

| Wordpress Hosting |
trev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
imknight wrote:
We do offer spam filtering services as well that will then put the spam assassin on to the email once it has passed and will tag a mail depending on its content.

Yes, I am using that service.

Trevor
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What setting are you using for spam filtering?

If you are using tag mode and you look in the headers of email that do get through as spam you can see what 'score' they got sometimes by using a custom value and just lowering the sensitivity by .1 can make a dramatic increase in the amount it catches.

| Wordpress Hosting |
trev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Ian

The current settings are 'Strict' and a value of 4. I'll try easing down as you suggest.

Best wishes for the NewYear
Trevor
RMLaundon
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wish I could have something like this attached to my letterbox at home so it stops all the unwanted junk mail being delivered
Tim Ward
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMLaundon wrote:
Just wish I could have something like this attached to my letterbox at home so it stops all the unwanted junk mail being delivered

One that works a bit is "no election leaflets". Some deliverers will obey this, some won't ... but you'll know who not to vote for then! (Personally I always obey such notices as it's at least possible that the punter normally votes for me but wouldn't if I leafletted them.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Email Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: