Sites making use of the script.34SP.com systems.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Sites hosted by 34SP.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Sites making use of the script.34SP.com systems. Reply with quote
Could we ask anyone that has used the installers on http://scripts.34sp.com to post links to their sites, and let us know if the systems could be improved in anyway and what was the overall ease of use on these.

Please provide full links to the sections of the site if the scripts werent the homepage on your site.

Thanks.
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Simon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've used the script installers on a few occasions, very useful - and easy to use. A great time saver.

NMS-FormMail
phpBB2 - firstly for an update, and then a complete reinstall after the 'mother incident'
Awstats - again, first an update and then a reinstall.

Suggested improvements:

• NMS-FormMail. Seem to remember the first time I installed reading instructions as to what to add to my forms. Don't recall seeing that when I reinstalled the other day. A link to those instructions on the script installer page would be useful.

• Awstats On a full install the the Awstats page is password protected (good), but appears to be automatically set to the same as your login for siteadmin. A link showing how to change that, without having to search around, would be useful. (I know the instructions are given after using the password creation tool, but that is not the most useful place in this circumstance)

• You don't seem to have had much feedback here - what about a link to this thread from the script installer page?

Page URLs
ysr23
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used the WordPress script
http://ysr23.com/blog/

- fantastic, i have no complaints at all, it worked very well indeed.

I have been looking at Joomla and wondering if you have any plans to implement a script for this?

great work tho, cheers,

t.
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
At this time have not looked into Joomla, Joomla like Mambo/ Gallery is best run under phpcgi due to file ownership issues. The first script we have setup that we recommend runs under phpcgi was ExponentCMS this installer appears to be working well and in time we make look into adding these larger scripts to the system.

I have a few more scripts that i currently have permissions to add and after that we may look into joomla.

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Gill
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use awstats, formail, wordpress and have used the sitemaps tool.
Have no problems with any of them.
Perhaps you've had little feedback because it's all fine and dandy! No news is good news ...
By the way ... isn't it about time you stopped teasing that poor dog?
Gill
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I promise i wont do it!

Just trying to get a view of how many people are using them and if they are worthwhile, also looking for a few good sample sites to show screenshots of as showcases that have used the installers hence the request for people who have used them to come forward

| Wordpress Hosting |
Gill
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good! 'bout time he had a walk I reckon.
Here's my wordpress bit.
Gill
gav
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have used several of these script installers....
cant remember when the first one was, last year sometime and it was the formtomail script.

think i got php5 installed via those installers, as was the google sitemap and many others...

just installed the awstats as i have been told good things about it,

www.gavtaylor.co.uk
www.thefallenclan.co.uk
christo.fogelberg
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: www.syntilect.com/cgf Reply with quote
Installed DokuWiki here. Had some teething problems getting it all running - but forums and forum searches were (are being) v. helpful.

My problems were:
* I needed to hunt around to find out I had to ask support to relax UID checking to GID checking. Once I asked for that to be done though it was pretty easy. In the meantime I tried to get the safeftp workaround to work but didn't have any luck - it just generated new and different errors

* The file conf/acl.auth.php had the wrong read/write permissions, and when I tried to change group permissions using the ACL management administrative option I got a write error. The solution to this should just be to chmod it, I haven't done this yet (will do this evening when I get home) and this should fix it. I've also been told it'll be fixed in the next install script release.

* Adding users - the functionality just didn't seem to be there, the link in the User Manager that I think was meant to exist just didn't seem to be there? But the forums have been very helpful - see http://www.forums.34sp.com/viewtopic.php?t=13357 for details.

Christo
GaryJ
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have used the Wordpress and phpcgi installations, with no real problems. Wordpress did have a bad install one day, but Ian and I were never able to track down what the issue was IIRC.
garethw
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We use the Form to Mail Script all over the place and find it realy usefull.

I have been playing around with the ical stuff but could do with it asking for a username / password combo before just allowing you to see everything. Also the server that our hosting account is on doesn't seem to like webdav so uploading stuff is a little messy.

http://www.westwoodfamily.me.uk/calendar/day.php

Looks good though.
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The ical script (phpicalender) is a work around so that you can publish sunbird/ical etc calenders without the use of WEBDAV, the instructions after the installer do tell you how to configure your desktop app accordingly.

In respect to the user/pass - take a look in your installation directory there is a configuration file where you can add things like this if you want too.

| Wordpress Hosting |
garethw
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
cool,

I thought it was to make it viewable on the web. Using Sunbird you can do it Via FTP anyway. Will have to take a look at the conf file.

Thanks for the pointer.

G
pacific8
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have used the Joomla script install on a couple of my sites;

www.calzaghe.co.uk

and in the making;

www.cartermoore.co.uk/index.php

Although I did experience a few install problems at start (down to my own lack of knowledge) it has got easier!

Regards,

Michael
mjtickner
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep, I've used the Wordpress install script (twice in-fact!)

[url]http://purplewyvern.co.uk/thenest/[/url]

Very easy to use and with all the information there (as long as you remember to read it).

The only issue I've found is that I now need to set the perms on some of the folders so that I can edit theme templates from within Wordpress (instead of having to go through plesk each time).

Might also be worth adding a default writeable .htacess as well. But this isn't to much of an effort to add manually.
RichardG
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: PHP Installer Script Reply with quote
I have used the PHP Installation script on a lot of my sites and I notice that the ownership of the PHP.INI file is not set to my FTP user name. It is set to "root" whereas the php.cgi file is set to my FTP owner. I can't change the ownership of the PHP.INI file, delete it or change its permissions. However I can rename it and add a copy of the renamed file back to the /cgi/bin/ directory and it all works fine. Copying the PHP.INI file seems to set the ownership back to my FTP owner and I can change the PHP.INI file as I need change its permissions if I need to.

I can tell its not working when my Joomla sites fail to startup correctly when running through the installation procedures. None of the directories are writeable and SAFE MODE is set ON instead of OFF. If you can run PHPINFO() you should see server API set to CGI - if the PHP.INI file is not working it shows API set to something like APACHE and nothing works as expected.

Apart from this little niggle support at 34sp is excellent and they have always managed to help me get things sorted out. The response is excellent and so far all my issues have been resolved. Joomla can be a tricky thing to get working at the best of times but its worth the effort.
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The php.ini should be locked - the rename trick also shouldnt work - i will be looking into this to make sure that doesnt work anymore

Any changes to php.in should be done by contacting support.

In regards to installing joomla we have joomla installers now on http://scripts.34sp.com which do the installation of the phpfastcgi and all for you so no need to configure anything.

| Wordpress Hosting |
RichardG
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
imknight wrote:
The php.ini should be locked - the rename trick also shouldnt work - i will be looking into this to make sure that doesnt work anymore

Any changes to php.in should be done by contacting support.

In regards to installing joomla we have joomla installers now on http://scripts.34sp.com which do the installation of the phpfastcgi and all for you so no need to configure anything.

Ah now that was not the expected result of my last entry. If you lock it down people can't experiment with the settings which can be useful at times when trying to figure out why a site doesn't work.

As an aside is there a way to override the PHP.INI file in \CGI\BIN\ directory.

I know you have Joomla installers but they are not necessarily the ones I wish to use as Joomla is in such a state of flux that sometimes you don't necessarily want to use the latest buggy release. Unfortunately some releases of Joomla have locked people out of their sites because of unexpected session errors - so the need to be able to go back a version is handy. In fact I note you have Joomla 1.0.13 in your installation scripts which was the one which caused many problems. The latest release is 1.0.15.

Its still a brilliant CMS if you can keep track of what works and what doesn't!
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah now that was not the expected result of my last entry. If you lock it down people can't experiment with the settings which can be useful at times when trying to figure out why a site doesn't work.

Really shouldnt need to change much really - what type of things are you finding you need to experment with?

Quote:

php.net/ini_set is your friend

Quote:

The latest release is 1.0.15.

Not linked on our site yet (as i havent had chance to get other staff to run tests yet) - but http://scripts.34sp.com/joomla1015 - ive tested in on some installs and upgrade and it seems fine but generally run it past a few other members of staff for testing before we make it live.

(we didnt have a 1.0.14 version as the .15 was released very shortly afterwards)

| Wordpress Hosting |
RichardG
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
imknight wrote:
Quote:

Really shouldnt need to change much really - what type of things are you finding you need to experment with?

I have experimented with various settings to see what they do when I had problems and looked on the net for help. I prefer a try and see approach. But if it had worked out of the box I wouldn't have bothered. Next time I do a Joomla install I might use your Joomla Script then overwrite it with the version I want - ie Joomla 1.0.15.

Quote:

php.net/ini_set is your friend
I do hope so!

Quote:

The latest release is 1.0.15.

Not linked on our site yet (as i havent had chance to get other staff to run tests yet) - but http://scripts.34sp.com/joomla1015 - ive tested in on some installs and upgrade and it seems fine but generally run it past a few other members of staff for testing before we make it live.

(we didnt have a 1.0.14 version as the .15 was released very shortly afterwards)

Hence my quote about Joomla being in a constant state of flux! Its hard to keep up and the more components/modules/mambots you use the more likely an upgrade will fail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Sites hosted by 34SP.com All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: