New Webmail Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisClarke
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi,
i've been playing with atmail, and i have to say i'm pretty disappointed with it.. i've emailed support and got a good response, but nothing that fixes the issues..

The sorting of emails just doesn't work properly. If you click the column titles it only sorts within the screen you are on! You can set a global ordering for emails, however that doesn't seem to work great, on my first page i've emails from 3 years ago and ones from today!

Folders don't show up in the fancy view, only the basic view, apparently this is a bug with the XML encoding used to generate the folders in the advanced view.

Also due to the way horde stored emails in folders the new atmail flatens your old folder structure.

Also it works differently between firefox and IE.. which again is blinkin anoying and pointless, all other websites manage to code around the differences in ie/FF!

Not bringing address lists over is an anoyance, but easily overcome if we have access to the old system still..

Also marking all my unread emails as read is a right pain, i now don't know what emails i've delt with and which ones i haven't!

It may look fancy, but i find it far more clunky and slow to use compared to horde, which although doesn't look very modern, i've never had any complaints from anybody i've setup hosting for..

i have 5 accounts with 34sp, with around 10 people regularly using webmail, i know i'm about to get a massive headache! The only reason i haven't moved them all over to my windows reseller acount on a different isp is because people are so content with the email system..

I understand the need to modernise it, but this system just doesn't seem to work!

rgds
chris
xenicus
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just replying to say that I agree.

The sorting is absoultely dreadful and makes the whole thing very difficult to use. if not impossible Specifically my problem is sort by date doesn't actually sort by date.

I worked through support with this issue a while back and it seemed to be down to something in the conversion process which made it fall back on the file datestamp.

Unfortunately I moved some emails about last night using Thunderbird and now this issue has re-occured. Persumably due to the moved files having a new datestamp.
gav
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: version 6? Reply with quote
are there any plans to upgrade the version of atmail running on webmail.34sp.com to version 6?
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes there is - but we run in a large multi server setup so it takes some planning to do this, as sadly the atmail5/atmail6 database structure is not compatible so its a full blown upgrade when we do do this. We had been waiting for them to introduce some features such as folder sorting (which they have now done) before looking too heavily into this.

But also they still havent added support for greylisting i beileve, so some of the functionality will go away when we do update (the greylisting addon was added by us and shared with them)

Also some things like webmail.DOMAIN maynot work straightaway and definitly the method we use for custom icons on the login screen would not work.

We therefore have to do a lot of testing and try to find a way to implement some of this functionality that will be lost when we do upgrade to this which is based on a totally new code base so it may take some time.
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
gav
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
cheers for the quick response Ian,
is good to hear you are looking into upgrading it.

I use the webmail.DOMAIN method of access myself as do one of my clients so its something that would be nice if you can implement it on the new system too.

If you need any guinea pigs to help test it, let me know, am happy to donate my assistance...

on a side note, I ticked the "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox but didnt get notified of your reply, might be broken?
gav
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
any update on the @mail upgrade?
shakers
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: atmail 6 Reply with quote
Over two years on and I'm now wondering this. The current version of atmail seems to be much better in terms of functionality, yet 34sp appears to be stuck sometime in 2008 at the moment
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There has been an atmail6 version of webmail available for quite some time now.

Its available at the misleading address of http://atmail2.34sp.com/

We are actually looking to go away from atmail in the near future as we are finding some of the things with them are disappointing - like to upgrade our current install properly we would literally have to take email offline for a good 24hrs as they changed formats that email is stored in and every single email would need to be updated - when we store absolutly millions of emails and process 10s of thousands of email every day this is not something we are able to do, so we are looking into a more inhouse platform where we have more control of things at which point we will be offering a new email webmail client at that point - all the same features will be available - ie alter your spam settings from the webmail interface, message sorting into folders (this will actually be done at server level - so if you setup rules in webmail and then use a mailclient these folder sorting will still take place) so lots of new things in development just all takes time.
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Email Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: