New Website Design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Sites hosted by 34SP.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nimco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: New Website Design Reply with quote
Can I have some feedback please on a new version of our website. I'm posting the link deliberately disguised to stop this post appearing in Google search results:

http:// beta . exe REMOVE THIS TEXT lat . com

Nearly all the content on the site is going to be rewritten so please don't worry about any poor grammar/typos on the site.

I'm just after opinions on the accessibility of the site - different browsers, platforms, etc. There are a few interesting features in there for anyone who wants to have a look through - such as geo meta tags, geotagging on the location page, access keys, semantic information, etc.

It should validate as XHTML Strict and CSS2 so if you find any pages which don't validate, please let me know!

Thanks!
philr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow. That's quite impressive. Did you make your own CMS for this, or are you using Joomla or something? The graphics are excellent.

A few minor nitpicks:

1. It took me a while to figure out that the little arrow icon underneath the search box is the button you're supposed to click to start a search. Apart from being rather too small for this purpose, it looks exactly the same as the inactive bullet markers further down the page. Suggest you get rid of this and turn the static text ("Search") into a clickable button instead.

2. There are some redundant links in the navigation. For example, if I click the "Company" link in the top menu bar, I get another "Company" link in the side bar that links to the page I'm currently viewing.

3. The portfolio pages are slightly broken.

4. I assume you're going to fix the problem where the news, portfolio and services links point to empty pages.
Nimco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
philr wrote:
Wow. That's quite impressive. Did you make your own CMS for this, or are you using Joomla or something? The graphics are excellent.

The CMS is a bespoke system that I built in house. It's used on nearly all our client websites and handles everything in a very powerful and flexible way - including search engine friendly URLS (although this needs tweaking still on this site).

philr wrote:
1. It took me a while to figure out that the little arrow icon underneath the search box is the button you're supposed to click to start a search. Apart from being rather small for this purpose, it looks exactly the same as the inactive bullet markers further down the page. Suggest you get rid of this and turn the static text ("Search") into a clickable button instead.

Very valid point! It had been worrying me too, but I thought I'd get feedback.

philr wrote:
There are some redundant links in the navigation. For example, if I click the "Company" link in the top menu bar, I get another "Company" link in the side bar that links to the page I'm currently viewing.

That's designed so that you can get back to that main section easily, but I take your point that it is somewhat superfluous - I'll see if I can find a nice solution. At the moment it serves to ensure there is always at least one link in that menu, even if the section is empty.

philr wrote:
3. The portfolio pages are slightly broken.

Good spot! Should be fixed now.

philr wrote:
4. I assume you're going to fix the problem where the news, portfolio and services links point to empty pages.

Yup, there's loads more content coming, including probably some form of blog/newsletter.

Thanks for taking the time to look through it.
Nimco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone else fancy having a look? I'm open to any/all criticisms about the site!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Sites hosted by 34SP.com All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: