Buying a domain off someone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linden Ryuujin
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Buying a domain off someone Reply with quote
Just looking for a little advice. I used to run a website a few years ago. Life got in the way I let it all drop. However I'm now starting a new site and was thinking I might well re-host my old site for old times sake.

However the domain has since been bought (purely speculatively I think, my site was fairly popular in it's area and now the domain just points to a generic advert page). I think I've tracked down the new owner, if I can get in contact with them is there any way I can get them to transfer ownership back to me if we can come to a deal on it? If so will I be at his mercy should be change his mind (and will he still get the chance to renew and thus keep in longer).

Not really sure how this all works. Any information from anyone would be appreciated.
weehappypixie
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should be straight forward,

If it is a .co.uk then they simply login to the nominet portal and select to transfer the domain. You will then get an email asking if you wish to take it over and then the seller is given the last chance and asked to pay the transfer fee which was 12 quid last time I did it.

If it's a .com then it's pretty much the same except it's not dealt with nominet.

The seller could however hold you to ransom like I have for one I am after, they want 10k for it so they can keep it.

Do a WhoIs on the domain name.

Good luck,

John
Linden Ryuujin
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the information, I shall see what I can do!

Thank again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: