Can't get cron job working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurkio
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Can't get cron job working Reply with quote
Trying to run a php script using cron (Akeeba backup of Joomla site). I am using lynx as shown here.

My cron command is:

/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump /path/to/php-file.php -profile=1

The -profile=1 argument is for the php script, but lynx interprets it as a lynx option:

lynx: Invalid Option: -profile=1

Is there a way to tell lynx to pass the argument to the php script?

Is it nesessary to use lynx, or can php (the "usual method") be used instead?

This is on a personal account.

Thanks for any help.

Tim
philr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can't get cron job working Reply with quote
lurkio wrote:
Trying to run a php script using cron (Akeeba backup of Joomla site). I am using lynx as shown here.

My cron command is:

/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump /path/to/php-file.php -profile=1

The -profile=1 argument is for the php script, but lynx interprets it as a lynx option:

lynx: Invalid Option: -profile=1

Is there a way to tell lynx to pass the argument to the php script?

Is it nesessary to use lynx, or can php (the "usual method") be used instead?

This is on a personal account.

Thanks for any help.

Tim

Lynx is a web browser. It isn't going to have much success parsing your PHP script. You need to give it a URL instead.

I have no idea what you're trying to do with this -profile command line option. It isn't recognized by Lynx or PHP. The usual technique for passing variables to PHP scripts is to place them in a query string.

This might work:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump http://www.tims-website.com/path/to/php-file.php?profile=1

lurkio
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't get cron job working Reply with quote
philr wrote:

Lynx is a web browser. It isn't going to have much success parsing your PHP script. You need to give it a URL instead.

I have no idea what you're trying to do with this -profile command line option. It isn't recognized by Lynx or PHP. The usual technique for passing variables to PHP scripts is to place them in a query string.

This might work:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/lynx -dump http://www.tims-website.com/path/to/php-file.php?profile=1

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm only using lynx because that's what 34sp's example cron jobs page says to use. To be honest I had never even heard of Lynx before now.

The trouble with passing it a url as you suggest is that the script then tells me "You are not supposed to access this script from the web......"

What I really want is to be able to use php:

Code:
path/to/php /path/to/php-file/file.php -arg

This works a treat on another host I use. Can this not be done on a 34sp personal account, and if not, why not?

Cheers,
Tim
philr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can run php directly if you know where the binary file is. Try /usr/local/bin/php

I still suspect you'll have problems with the -profile command line switch, which (as far as I know) isn't recognized by PHP. Are you perhaps trying to set an environment variable?

EDIT:
Just tried it out over here and apparently PHP isn't too fussy about command line arguments. It just copies them to $_SERVER["argv"]. So you were probably right

Code:
/usr/local/bin/php /path/to/php-file.php -profile=1

lurkio
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers, that works a treat. It's a shame the 34sp page of cron examples doesn't include a similar example - it would have saved me a lot of messing about! Having said that, I should have figured it out for myself.

So, for anyone else struggling with setting up a cron job to run the Akeeba backup script for backing up their Joomla! site, use the following command syntax:

Code:
/usr/local/bin/php /full/path/to/joomla/root/administrator/components/com_akeeba/backup.php -profile=n

The -profile=n argument is only necessary if you don't want to use the default backup profile.

Thanks for the pointers.

Cheers,
Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Scripting Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: