CentOS-4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tampinc
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: CentOS-4 Reply with quote
FYI

For anybody who doesn't know, CentOS-4 reaches its support end-of-life on Feb 29th 2012, and will not receive any security updates or bug fixes after that date.

My partner bought a VPS account for her business a couple of years ago and it was set up with the CentOS-4 operating system. I have asked 34sp if they had any plans to upgrade Linux CentOS-4 based installations. The reply was that no, existing installations would not be upgraded and the best course of action would be to drop the existing VPS account and create a new one which would be based on CentOS-5 (which is at least supported until March 2014). I expect the same situation will happen in 2014. I completely understand where 34sp are coming from, the CentOS project recommends fresh installation and not to try upgrading between major releases. I only found all of this out when my partner asked me to take a look after a couple of her sites got hacked with WordPress trojans. They were relatively simple to remove any way, but poking around I discovered this "skeleton-in-the-cupboard" and thought others should be warned in case it applies to them.

Migrating all the sites hosted on her VPS will be a pain as well as setting up the DNS configs for routing mail to her blackberry etc etc, but I prefer to keep up to date with security patches so it will have to be done.

Cheers,
Chris
garethw
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just for anyone who is interested

Code:
cat /etc/redhat-release

Should show you what version you are on. I get;

Quote:
CentOS release 4.8 (Final)

So I guess that means it's time to get a new account... Maybe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: