ubuntu iptables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apacheuk
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: ubuntu iptables Reply with quote
I'm trying to configure iptables on my new vps

I've used a file from another machine I have that is working OK, my issue is only getting it to restore on reboot.

I've edited with sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces

and added the line

pre-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.up.rules

but after a reboot the /etc/network/interfaces doesn't contain my changes and iptables has reverted to the default.

Any help appreciated
Cheers
apacheuk
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
have sent an email to support, hopefully will get it resolved soon
apacheuk
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok for those that might be interested, finally managed to get this to restore my settings after a reboot, with the help of Andy in support.

The normal method I usually use as described above editing /etc/network/interfaces doesn't seem to work... the file keeps getting over written on reboot, no idea why and I'm still looking at why this might be.

but if you follow these instructions (if you ever have a need to do this) it should work

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo#Solution_.232_.2BAC8-etc.2BAC8-network.2BAC8-if-pre-up.d_and_...2BAC8-if-post-down.d

if I ever find out why the file is being over written I'll update the post... I suspect its something to do with the vps and the way the virtual network interface is created???

Cheers
Simon

next job is to point my domain name at the server
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: