20 min delay in mail delivery, any ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garethw
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: 20 min delay in mail delivery, any ideas? Reply with quote
Hi All,

I recently had a 120k long mail queue after one of my customers accounts got hacked and did a re-build of the mail queue.

Ever since then everything has been working fine but there is a 20 min delay on incoming mail being delivered. I'm fairly sure this was not the case before and am struggling to work out how to fix it.

I've been through the mail log and can't see anything untoward (although there is a LOT of crap flying through there).

It's almost like rather than being handled straight away everything is getting queued up then every 20 mins the queue runs and is cleared. If I run the queue manually it all gets sent straight away but I don't think setting a cron job to run the queue every 30s is a good idea...

Any ideas would be brilliant.
garethw
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I've carried on digging and although I checked the file permissions after I created the new queue I decided to do it again.

Turns out the permissions are all ok but I was missing a file from /var/qmail/queue/lock;
Code:
0 prw--w--w-   1 qmails qmail    0 Nov 30 14:26 trigger

Which according to http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#trigger Does the following;
Quote:
qmail-queue and qmail-send communicate via a named pipe called /var/qmail/queue/lock/trigger. If this pipe gets messed up, qmail-send doesn't notice new messages for a half hour or so.

Sounds like me error doesn't it. So a quick;
Code:
mkfifo -m 0622 /var/qmail/queue/lock/trigger
chmod qmails:qmail /var/qmail/queue/lock/trigger

should do the job. Obviously I need to monitor and see if this has resolved the problem but I'm fairly sure it's all good now.

I'll post back later once I've confirmed it's working.
garethw
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The queue is still not getting above 0 so I'm fairly sure it's sorted.

Sorry to have bothered anyone but at least it's a record of what went wrong and how to fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // VPS (Virtual Private Server) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: