Greylisting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Ward
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Greylisting Reply with quote
Has greylisting been considered as a spam defence?

With the existing system I can set the threshold to 3 and lose quite a lot of spam, but dozens per day still get through and if I set it any lower I lose real emails. So, it doesn't do the business.

One place I work put greylisting in place. The effect on my account was as follows:

(1) In the beginning: hundreds of spams per day

(2) After putting in spamassassin: down to dozens of spams per day (so far so good, around the same level as 34sp's spam filtering)

(3) After putting in greylisting: zero spams. That's not zero per day, that's zero in total over the several weeks that greylisting has been running.

Sure it'll only work for a few months or a couple of years until the spammers catch up, but it's worth it for the time being surely?
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has been looked into but we have to stay within the constraints of the supplied packages by SwSoft (plesk creators) and dont have the ability to alter some things that would be needed to implement such a system.

The spam filtering system that is currently in place does have the ability for you the user to aid in the training of the filter which can dramitically improve its performance.

Do you use either webmail or imap for your mail collection system?
Used our script installers? Please post your site here

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Tim Ward
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I'm only using POP.
bah26

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tim Ward wrote:
No, I'm only using POP.

Thunderbird does well handling my SPAM.
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tim Ward wrote:
No, I'm only using POP.

Not so easy to aid train the server using pop. Using imap you can create some learning folders to aid the server pick up what it gets wrong.

Im not sure this is really easily possible with POP - ill look into it a little more to be sure before commiting to a definite no.

| Wordpress Hosting |
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Tim Ward
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would probably be happy to log into webmail occasionally to do a bit of training, whilst actually picking up the mail to read via POP, if that would work.
imknight
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tim, dropped you a Private message with a small document linked in it.

| Wordpress Hosting |
mctt
34SP Newbie
34SP Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi imknight and all,
I am just setting up the filters for a business client. They use Outlook and a Blackberry.
I can switch them over to IMAP but I just wondered if there is any feedback on this subject that might be useful to know other than the tutorials and emails that come with filters?

The client wants all SPAM to go to a folder and I am yet to explain about training the filters and false positives to them. Blackberry PDAs are a totally new area for me and so if there is anyone out there who uses both filters and one of these gadgets please tell us about how you are getting on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    34SP.com Forum Index // Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: